![]() |
| You do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself about.... Image courtesy of Kacey Deamer (@KaceyDeamer) |
While the audience in general was a fairly savvy one, the woman in particular who had asked the question hadn't had chemistry since high school and had said so. Instead of breaking out the pens and bar napkins like I would do with someone intimately familiar with organic chemistry structures, I made do with what tools I had available: my body and a momentary lack of dignity.
| I had a feeling this might cause a riot or food fight.[1] |
| I mean come on. The difference is so totally obvious duh. [2] |
The folks around me had enjoyed the performance so much that I was asked to talk about my research....of course using the same odd demonstrations. While performing, one of the attendees took a series of photos with her phone and using some post processing in the phone itself produced the image you see at the top. I had been pantomiming the synthesis of a chemical and then talked about the future direction of my work. It got a fair amount of laughs as well and while it didn't teach any overarching concepts of science we had a good time.
[1] Myoglobin http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/60/Myoglobin.png
[2] Carbohydrate http://html.rincondelvago.com/000280467.png
[2] Carbohydrate http://html.rincondelvago.com/000280467.png

No comments:
Post a Comment