Can you write about what it is you do, using only the thousand most common words in English? I bet you can. With a little bit of thought, even a topic so rife with jargon as nanotechnology [1] can be simplified down to use really, really common terms. The "Up-goer-Five" [2] text editor takes whatever you put into it and checks against the list. Here's mine:
I like to think about and make really small stuff. Right now computer insides are made kind of small but soon that won't work anymore. Really Small Things work sort of different than Bigger Things and computer insides are too big. I am thinking about ways to make things even smaller but still work like the stuff we already know.
I can think about and make a thing the way I want to by using building blocks to put smaller things together to make a bigger Small Thing. With these Small Things I want to see how power moves through, to help understand what power does at such a small area. By changing the blocks that I use, I can make the Small Things act different from each other slightly so that I can know what change had what end.
Using these Small Things together with other small things will let humans make cool new things to do more new work with.
XKCD had a comic [3] that explained the Saturn V rockets (hence "up-goer five") and since being featured in a Scientific American [4] blog last year, a Tumblr called Ten Hundred Words of Science [5] collects submissions so that you can read in simple terms, what people really do!
At the Science Online Together 2014 Conference I attended last week in Raleigh, NC afforded me the opportunity to meet a lot of new and interesting people.
From that I met a woman who had participated in this challenge and she posed it to me. Thanks to +Gretchen Goldman for the inspiration!
[1] http://tenhundredwordsofscience.tumblr.com/post/41281268006/my-work-is-about-studying-really-small-things-it
[2] http://splasho.com/upgoer5/
[3] http://xkcd.com/1133/
[4] http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2013/01/27/science-in-ten-hundred-words-the-up-goer-five-challenge/
[5] http://tenhundredwordsofscience.tumblr.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment