Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Awesome Nicknames

So I'm reading J. R. Partington's "A Short History of Chemistry" (Harper Torchbooks, 1965) partly because it's an old book that I saved from destruction by a local library and partly because no chemistry course I've ever taken really touches on the development of the science that is so central to my life. I know it's dated and there are probably a lot of other texts that are more modern or may be more comprehensive- but I got it for a bargain. Get off my back alright? Okay. Thanks.

I'm working my way through the section right now that's basically discussing the high-times of alchemical study (which interestingly enough coincide with the European Middle Ages) and I've found that many of those researchers had names attributed to them, some based on scholastic significance while others have no evident origin and others just gave it to them[1]. Paracelsus, known also by his real name Theophrastus Bombast von Hoenheim, fits this latter description.
Theophrastus Bombast von Hoenheim...and his brother, Bombad Boss Nass von Hoenheim

Robert Bacon, and many of the other Franciscan Monks earned the scholarly titles, for example Bacon's Doctor Mirablis or Thomas Aquinas' Doctor Angelicus. Albert the Great, Albertus Magnus, was given his nickname by his peers during his lifetime because he brought to public attention many of the philosophical works which had become esoteric at that time.
From that, my question is- why can't we have cool nicknames again? I know it would complicate authorship attribution (which was rife in the Middle Ages), but how awesome would it be to be known as something other than your direct name? I guess that's what Twitter handles are for- I'm looking at you @SeeArrOh! But really. Can't we get a bit of grandiosity generated here? I mean something to really shed light on the SHEER AWESOME of the work that we do? Maybe something just  little bit more varied than Philosophiae Doctor!

What name might you choose, or what name do you think others might ascribe to you? Myself? I would choose Molectronicus.
+Joseph Meany

[1] http://www.naturasophia.com/Paracelsus.html Accessed 6 Aug 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment